PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 19:04
BrogulT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
FOX had an article on this.

The FAA said it was a one time event, did not indicate a continuing problem, took no action beyond a counseling session, the Operator conducted Remedial Training, and that was the end of it.

Had there been a serious violation the FAA would have taken Certificate Action.....they did not.

Since that event the Pilot had no violation record of any kind.

Shawn Coyle, well known around these parts, says pretty much what I just have.

Shawn notes that it is not uncommon for a Pilot to have violated a Rule sometime in their career.....I agree and plead guilty.

I once found myself inside a control zone under IFR, confessed my Sin, received a SVFR Clearance "OUT of...." the Control Zone.

Upon landing...called the Tower....apologized....and received forgiveness.

Move on folks.....old news of no importance.
I agree that an airspace violation isn't necessarily a big thing. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard/seen others do it and just get vectored out without even a demand to call the tower later. The fact the the FAA even went as far as to issue a notice of violation seems to indicate that this was a little more severe than the average airspace incursion and I can give you some possible reasons why they might have taken it more seriously.

First, this happened on the south side of LAX right where the boundary where Class B airspace goes directly from 100/50 to 100/SFC. To allow operations at Hawthorne and various helipads, including the LA Sheriff's Dept, they've pushed this 100/SFC boundary very close to LAX. At one point this boundary is only a few hundred feet away from the runway of one of the busiest airports in the world. This boundary matches a clearly visible highway and everyone that flies this area knows never to cross over it. I'm sure the local ATC takes incursions across this wall very seriously.

Second, there is the SVFR request itself and the subsequent statement that he was in VFR. Given the specifics of the area, I'd be shocked if they did allow SVFR transits given the other traffic and the potential consequences of popping up. I don't know the pilots destination on that day, but unless there's a landing spot right inside the boundary, I just can't see it being allowed. I found a helicopter chart and it also lists the area as 'NO SVFR'. I'd post a picture if I could, but I'd really like to know from a local if that 'NO SVFR' is actually a hard and fast rule that applies to helicopters. If it is, then perhaps it reflects poorly on the pilot that he even asked for it.