PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Debris Found in Undelivered 737MAx FUEL TANKS
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 17:40
NWA SLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping track of this thread, I do see people reporting FOD discovered in tanks of planes other than Boeings, but nothing said about Airbus. Are Airbus planes really 100% free of any debris left in tanks? Having been an engineer in mobile equipment other than airplanes for 44 years, FOD in fuel tanks much less complex than those of an airplane was a constant problem. I remember requirements like after completion and final production cleaning, audits performed on a random basis using a chemical spray to release adherence to the tank surfaces with the discharge filtered and weighed. Debris measuring beyond a certain mass (limit based on the particular tank) required corrective action, more frequent audits, etc. There was no such thing as a 100% clean tank. Static electricity, airborne contamination, manufacturing swarf, corrosion, material scale, bacteria (fuel being organic promotes life of, well in technical terms, really icky organisms). Sealant over applied can squeeze out and cause grief. Then despite all efforts to clean up, the first fuel load could introduce new crud despite requirements for final filters. Now being a old retired guy, I have a lot of toys around my place. I buy clean fuel, keep it clean, and still despite all that care I end up with plugged fuel filters - like 4 filters having finer filtration down the chain on my largest engine and now my FADEC reporting low pressure due to plugged filters but not yet at the prescribed replacement interval. So what is the Airbus secret to having perfection? As an engineering manager in France, I lost one of my employees to Airbus. He can't tell me of any secret but then again maybe he is sworn to secrecy.