PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 10:58
chevvron

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by KaneDL
I would absolutely love to hear from each and every one of you that has details of the airfield, anything we could print, display and share would be a huge benefit to the local community. Educating people about the history of our airfields and those who bravely flew from them is so incredibly important. I hope that you'll become part of the event in some way, to make sure the story lives on through future generations.
I had 2 Anson flights from Bovingdon in the early '60s and in the period 1965 - 1967, helped operate several detachments of gliders from 613 Gliding School at Halton prior to 617 Gliding School moving in having been ejected from Hendon.
During one of the detachments, there was a Devon on a trailer parked in our hangar; apparently the pilot had landed 'long' as there was a 'hump' in the main runway which tended to throw the aircraft back ointo the air after touchdown, however he found after landing he had no pressure in his brakes and ended up going across the Bovingdon - Chesham road (road traffic was halted by traffic lights) after touchdown.

Last edited by chevvron; 23rd Feb 2020 at 11:11.