PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia article - duff gen
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 09:40
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH1
However, how do you know how much of the wing is stalled, so assume the worst and avoid the use of aileron until unstalled.
It is a matter of feel. On the military jets of the 70/80s, the F4 Phantom and the Lightning any max rate turn required flying in the buffet. Too much and the drag increased too much and you stopped turning. Too little and the turn radius increased. It starts with light buffet and gradually gets heavier. Not much to do with the original question I admit but in the Phantom light buffet had to be pulled on the finals turn as the wing did not work too well at low speeds!
Having mixed with an F4 in my Canberra at 40 k plus, the F 4 wing didnt seem to work all that well at high speed !

Agreed but didnt you have an AOA in the F4 where the watchword, IIRC was “ unload to control. And roll control in the buffet was rudder, use of aileron inviting a flat, unrecoverable spin.

of course my memory may be failing me !

SWH, please reread my posts , STALL requires reducing a of a below the critical value , a low speed recovery needs just THRUST.