PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia article - duff gen
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 02:05
Homesick-Angel

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think this really depends what sort of plane you’re flying, what altitude you’re at and what the flight manual says to do. It also depends how deep you are in the stall. The stall warning tends to go off about 10kts above the stall in the 172 for example and that thing can be treated like rubbish (do everything wrong) in around and beyond the stall and is unlikely to kill you (depending on altitude) , but there is another reasonably popular trainer that has the tendency to go into flat spins and drastic height losing stalls - certain news grabbing schools have recently been advised to stop doing these training sequences in these aircraft as they may not have correctly passed certification to practice these sequences .

Regardless , I feel there may be some wording issues in this thread between stalls and spins, but let’s just say that somehow both aerofoils were in a deep stall , and you started using aileron (while still holding back pressure) when you sensed a wing drop it would deepen the stalled state by increasing the relative AoA.

When you teach this stuff, it tends to be a sensory overload initially to the student and you’d be surprised how many pilots I’ve trained who were scared or very wary of the stall. Even experienced ones. But in teaching it, you need to be able to formulate it into a package that’s going to get through in this time and be something that will save them as they come back into their first solo . People do strange things they wouldn’t normally do when they’re under stress, and stall training is no different. I guess sometimes the wording may seem wrong from some instructors, but you don’t want an inexperienced pilot shoving in a bucketload of aileron to correct an approaching or developed stall. They need to see and recover from the symptoms to meet the criteria - for better or worse I think most people understand by the time they need to.

I used to take instructor trainees up and show them what it looked like to do everything wrong. And then let go. Most trainers will fix themselves.