PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia article - duff gen
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 10:59
PaulH1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the days when we were actually allowed to take aircraft to the stall for training purposes - Cessna twinjets - and we were allowed to conduct the LPC/OPC in the aircraft, I was on a course in the USA. The FAA training assumed that the probability of a stall was greatest when the aircraft was close to the ground and in a dirty configuration. Height loss was a major consideration. The recovery from the incipient stage was to apply full power, hold the pitch attitude and keep wings level with aileron. Get rid of drag flap and gear up with a positive rate of climb.
A few weeks later when I was doing my TRE renewal with a CAA examiner on board, I demonstrated the FAA recovery to the 'student'. The CAA examiner was horrified!! **** scared more likely! Apparently I should have pushed the control column forward to unstall the wing and then increased pitch attitude and not used any aileron until the aircraft was climbing away at a safe speed. When I suggested that we would have hit the ground using this procedure he failed my check ride and I had to take the test again at a later date. A completely different thinking process from two of the major licensing authorities.