PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten fatalities in 9 weeks?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 06:29
exfocx

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay out of the rabbit hole!

Originally Posted by Lookleft
Despite saying I wasn't going down the rabbit hole a couple important facts need to be stated regarding Ansett. It was AirNZ who put Ansett into administration and that occurred on the Monday before 9-11 which was on Wednesday. Ansett stopped flying on the Friday. There were 2 767 groundings. One before Christmas 2000 and the other around Easter 2001. Thats why the joke was "How do you get Christmas and Easter off at Ansett? Fly the 767."
No, I was overnighting in ADL the morning (SA time) the towers went down, I woke up and put the news on (very early morning am) to see the 2nd tower go down. We (the crew) gathered in the lobby as we checked out (ADL Hilton) and talked about it! I was crewing an AN A320 flt that morning, so I'm pretty bloody certain that we were still operating and that no one had forgotten to tell us! We did four sectors that day.

As to whether or not it was ANZ (they owned us) or AN management itself is really irrelevant, the AOC was not canned by CASA over the 767 landing gear. issue.

Edit: Wed was the 12th Sept (11th US time), Friday was the 8th (Oz time) and AN was still operating; sorry, but your memory is incorrect. My log book has me flying on the 11th (which was the night I o/n in ADL) and the 12th (the morning of 911 Oz time). Next flight was after the 2 Marks took over on the 13th of Oct.

If my memory is correct I believe the last day was 2 days after 911 (14th of Sept).

Last edited by exfocx; 22nd Feb 2020 at 06:46. Reason: additional info