PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 21st Feb 2020, 21:03
AmarokGTI

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OCTA Aus
I dont disagree, there has to be a cost benefit analysis to safety. But many people in this thread seem to want the safety but aren’t willing to accept the cost. It’s about reducing the risk down to an acceptable level. And I would suggest the chances of 2 aircraft colliding in the way these 2 did would have been very slim. In fact I suspect it would be nearly impossible even if you tried to recreate it....
Flying into Mildura some days would give a reasonable chance of a repeat/inadvertent recreation sadly. I think anyone would be a fool to accept an aircraft with a TCAS MEL into YMIA at the moment. I know I certainly wouldn’t. You need that backup tool for when the circuit tools can’t tell east from west or north from south. “I’m 5miles north tracking south inbound for straight in runway 36” “I’m due west of the field tracking east sorry due east my heading is 090”.

I’m often baffled by how many people struggle with basic orientation stuff. It’s not typically a surprise which general direction you are going to arrive from.