PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 21st Feb 2020, 14:29
Clare Prop

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts
A couple of years ago at Jandakot a Caravan was on final for the parallel runway 24R. He decided at about 200 feet to do a left orbit instead of going around which put him straight onto a collision course with me on final for 24L so at 200 feet AGL I had to dive to avoid a collision. Witnessed by two ATC, my student and the other pilot admitted it. Reports duly submitted.

ATSB said it wasn't an issue as he had "gone around on Base" which was complete rubbish and proven by Webtrak. CASA? "Nothing to do with us as the AOC holder is over East".

I lost all faith in the ATSB that day, though it wasn't the first time they had changed the facts around I'd never known them to disregard a report from ATC before.

Meanwile recently I was on upwind at a CTAF in VMC when an IFR guy decided to do an instrument approach for the reciprocal to the runway in use. We had to make a steep turn to avoid him on upwind as he came belting down his approach straight towards us. He was using IFR RNAV position reports in a CTAF full of VFR aircraft, skydivers, helicopters and scenic fights so few of us great unwashed VFR people had a clue where he was or his intentions. I didn't even bother putting in a report, there's no point. I would probably just get blamed for it anyway.