PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2020, 07:19
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom4
Wiggy,Two Whites Two Reds.
Good morning and kindly humour me.
HR are trying to wrest control of Pilot Recruitment as it falls under their budget and not Flight Ops.
Its happened before and a Senior TC approached FoD who resisted it at that time.
HR do not understand nor would I expect them to the intensity,dynamic and mental Model required to perform in the simulator.They have minimal concept of terms such as MSA and CFIT.
Pilot Recruitment is Perhaps the only career path that is not exclusively run by HR and they don’t like it that way.
I stand corrected on Knight falling on his sword but if he wants to save his team he had better stand up to the task or it will be the thin end of the wedge.
Morning Phantom4

As Wiggy eluded to above, this sort of thing is just the tip of a very big and nasty cost cutting iceberg.

The short answer is, I think many at Waterside forget what we are. An Airline. And a hugely profitable one at that despite the significant costs involves in flying big aeroplanes around the globe. The back office departments such as HR are simply there to supply admin functions to for the part of the business which actually generates the revenue. Flight Ops. Unfortunately it seems to greatly annoy some at HQ that BA continues to spend lots on flying aeroplanes.

Thats not to say there isn't room for efficiencies...but not when they come at this sort of cost. When I joined British Airlines I started to see some of the daftest things I'd ever seen in my career. Baggage dollies being intentionally left behind aeroplanes, stuck chocks, no stand guidance, crew room staplers locked away at night "just in case" (WTF!!!)...the list goes on (and this was all at our home base). Having come from airlines where this sort of s*** just wouldn't be tolerated on any level I found it tough going for the first year or so. I'd never seen anything like it. Slowly but surely (and as my colleagues promised would eventually happen) these things started to wash over me. Not because I cared any less, but simply that trying to fight the system was pointless and allowing the nonsense at BA to get to you is a recipe for some sort of breakdown at an early age! Unfortunately, there seems to be no end to the appetite for more cost cutting. It's horrible to see from the inside. There's running an efficient business and making lots of money....GREAT....then there's flogging the cash cow until it falls over and dies....NOT GREAT. IAG are firmly on a road to doing the latter if they carry on. Which they will.