PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2020, 20:05
Dannyboy39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone else who has lived in the town until very recently and owe a lot to having an airport walking distance from my home, I can understand both points of view. I also use the airport 25-30 times a year.

The question - why have a cap. What is the aim here? An arbitrary cap for the sake of planning? To reduce ATMs? To make the airport a more tolerable experience for the traveller? To reduce pollution and increase QOL for the local community?

The arguments for sure have merit... although for me it is a bit pointless having an arbitrary cap - it doesn’t exactly reduce ATMs unless larger types are used. It also doesn’t allow for free market competition and increase opportunities for the local people it serves. The drop off zone improvements have helped immeasurably in comparison to the previous offerings albeit it is a mile to walk. The DART will be a worthwhile investment... eventually. What is wrong with the “ski jump” considering people were accusing the airport of constantly cheaping out?

I think what would help is a reduction or elimination of the drop off charge for local residents who have very little feasible public transport option. That would get people on side.

People also tend to forget that council tax rises are a result of central government policy. The airport keeps taxes lower than what it could have otherwise been. In Central Beds it is significantly higher for a worse service.

As to those voted into LBC - it is unfair for those on the council to have such a broad knowledge of policy brief... I certainly wouldn’t have a clue about social care! It is unfair to say those in St Albans are more knowledgeable. That said, having seen planning meetings in the past, it wouldn’t be unfair to say that some of them do not have the knowledge needed for the job.