PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Techtation
Thread: Techtation
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2020, 16:34
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
Yeah, spell check tells me that “techtation” is not a word… Oaky, I acknowledge, but I’m going to use it anyway…...........

But is this making VFR flying more safe? Perhaps not at the rate we would think. We continue to have accidents where very capable aircraft are flown by adequately capable pilots into unsuitable conditions. I opine that in many cases, these pilots suffer from techtation, where they know that they have ample technical capability in the aircraft, but that knowledge lures them into worsening conditions..........…..
Hi Pilot DAR, an interesting set of thoughts ... and something that has received some formal study in the past - but not recently as far as I know. In the UK, the CAA ran the On Track study which, while looking at the causes for airspace infringements, noted that the use of more sophisticated Nav equipment inc GPS brought it's own problems ranging from press-on-itis in poor weather, basic programming errors taking pilots blindly to the wrong airfields or to just not leaving any margin for error when it came to Nav. That study dates back to 2003 and the report can be found here https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_5.PDF. It also covers a load of other reasons for such errors, and focuses on infringements of CAS as a priority. However, some 20% of the infringements were due, in part, due to issues surrounding the use of GPS though other things like "distraction" could be linked (ie spending too much time playing with the GPS!)

People like Mike Nendick (New Zealand -"Global Positioning System (GPS): Human Factors aspects for General Aviation Pilots.") and Kevin Williams (USA - The FAA CAPSTONE Project) were also looking into this in the late 1990's tho the CAPSTONE project was more looking at how it could be used in Alaska to make flying safer. That said, "risk analysis" was all part of that work. There was also a study started in the UK entitled "UK GPS Research" which aimed to look at something more akin to what you, Pilot DAR, raise as an issue; the more general problem of "techtation" or the impact of the new technology on workload and situational awareness in PPLs. Again, that was around 2004 but only the first phase was completed which was some initial scoping work. Sadly, not all such work is published or completed for various reasons, especially work coming out of private academic study which can stop due to lack of funding or other problems like work getting in the way. I'm not really aware of anything else more recent taking place - not to say it hasn't, just I ain't seen it!

But your idea of "techtation" is accurate I am sure. I myself, flying back into a major UK airport several years ago heard a remarkable argument on the App frequency between the Radar Controller and a GA Aircraft who was about to infringe CAS which ended in an almost "shouting match" with the Pilot virtually yelling "Well, my GPS says I'm going to miss your Zone!!!" which was followed by the Controller retort in a similarly agitated voice of "Well, my Radar says you are just about to fly straight into my Zone and my Radar has been here a lot longer than your GPS!". I thought it had suddenly started to rain heavily - until I realised the sudden moisture-related lack of forward visibility was due to the tears of laughter flooding my eyes!!! Fortunately I calmed down enough to land shortly after listening in to their scrap! I recall the GA pilot eventually took the hint and, with some guidance from App, re-routed round the Zone!!!

Anyway, just some "history" there! Sorry not much else of use! Cheers, H 'n' H