PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2020, 04:28
Hartford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice in the airplane world they have been talking about the issue of automation being so ubiquitous pilots lose their hand flying abilities. The first time I had an auto-pilot it took some getting used to. Eventually I learned to trust it, and in my opinion it made operations safer.

I think it will always come with some skill erosion but it’s probably less than airplane pilot’s experience. Much of my flight time required hands on the sticks, but I suppose that’s job dependent.

When the visibility was low or the weather was looking questionable it was pretty comforting to know I had it. And I fully intended to engage it if I lost the horizon. Then I monitored to make sure me and it agreed on which way is up. But I certainly saw some people who were reluctant to use it and saw it as something like a crutch for less skilled pilots. I know of two accidents that could have been avoided simply by engaging it. I suspect when this investigation is through that will be the case as well.

As far as the building skill vs losing it through automation stuff. I know that despite the skill erosion in many airplane pilots, they don’t seem to smack themselves into the ground as much when they hit clouds.