PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2020, 03:52
Lonewolf_50

Received 422 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Lone.....when the other human pilot is flying the aircraft do you "guard" the controls in case he does something dangerous?
I pay attention to what the other pilot is doing. I don't take a mental vacation. You? "Hey, Bubba!" became an informal wake up call 40 years ago For A Reason.
Climb down off that lofty steed you seem to be sat astride for a moment and consider what GB was really saying....not what you appear to have perceived.
I speak English very well, thanks.
he is talking about letting the Auto Pilot do exactly what it was designed to do....under the direct supervision of a human pilot
That's what you say, and it's not what I read.
That for damn sure is what I am describing....
And I took no issue with your points.
You can attend to other duties in the cockpit while keeping a weather eye on George's performance.
The day I trust George is the day I trust HAL. Which is about the day after I stop breathing. Some imperfect human designed him, ya know? Ever heard of MCAS? Ever heard of AF 447?
You do understand we do this stuff single pilot in many of these machines don't you?
Yes, and all that means is that we (when single pilot) have to be ever vigilant. The machine is trying to kill you. It's a helicopter. It can't help itself.
At some point you have to take your hands off the controls and divert your attention for short intervals out of necessity.
That isn't what I was talking about, and you know it. You Brain Must At All Times Be Engaged.
Autopilots are pretty reliable these days....as long as you punch the right button or twist the right knob.
And if you use it frequently, rather than once in every two or three hundred sorties.
SASless, how about we bring our attention back to the case in point, OK?

We must teach our children (the pilots that we train) well:
We are the pilot, not a passenger.