PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2020, 23:31
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
No names....but while standing on the bridge of a US Warship in the Roads of a large oriental seaport.....I watched the Captain very carefully Conn the Ship to his designated anchoring spot....throw a few bits of wood over the side to check the Way had come to zero.....gives order to Let Go....the sledge smacked the Keeper...and away it went....along with every bit of chain attached thereto...it seemed like miles of chain as the almighty clatter went on and on and on.

When silence reined and the Bosun's rather agitated tones wafted back over the Bridge Wing.....The Captain looked over at the XO and was heard to quietly say...."Well....that went well!".

The XO, with a rather serious look on his countenance replied....."Yes Sir! I am thinking that getting it back onto the Ship is going to be a bit more difficult!".

Fortunately there was a Salvage Tug in Theater that responded and recovered the lost gear before we departed for our next Port Call. The extended Port Call was well received by all Hands.

I always wondered if that was a pure accident or not.