PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2020, 19:02
TEEEJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchippy
Hi All,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking for some help. I have just joined a Chipmunk group and I'm trying to find out some more information about her.

WK630 (now G-BXDG) appears to have been operated by a number of UAS throughout the 60s and 70s, but I'm most interested in her (potential) association with 8 AEW Sqn. She is currently painted in 8 Sqn colours (albeit, slightly incorrect) but some group members believe that this may just have been due to the previous owners association with the Squadron, not the aircraft. However, I have found one reference (in a modellers forum) that indicates that WK630 may have indeed been with 8 Squadron as a trainer when they operated Shakletons at Lossie.

So, I was wondering whether anyone could validate (or discredit) this information or provide more information on the background of WK630. Failing this, I may submit a FOI request to the RAF Historical Branch to see if they can shed some more light on her past.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
The reference to WK630 looks like it was a mix up in regards to serials? The poster claims "They certainly had it on 8/8/88 at the celebrations"

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...hipmunk-8-sqn/

Aircraft enthusiasts are quite meticulous in noting serials and the only Chipmunk noted at the 8/8/88 celebrations at RAF Lossiemouth was WP803.

One of the enthusiasts took an image of WP803 at the reunion in 1988.

Ref to WP803 being the 8 Squadron hack.

RAF Chipmunks

Image of WP803 landing at RAF Lossiemouth in 1989 in 8 Squadron markings.

Aircraft WP803 (1952 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 C/N C1/0697) Photo by Peter Nicholson (Photo ID: AC457346)

From

Aircraft Data WP803, 1952 De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 C/N C1/0697

From an article in Air Forces International - May 1989

Also with 8 Squadron, Chipmunk WP803 is used for tailwheel continuation training, and now proudly wears full unit markings on the fuselage.