PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2020, 19:06
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dropoffcharge
Picking the bones from it, it reads "if you give us our runway extension EBC, we'll give you access to your planned new business park"
it would be a shame if they waste the land to the north east on yet more large sheds which employ a tiny amount of people. I am amazed SOU are not marketing the land to business aircraft operators and maintenance providers. Thinking big maybe even manufacturers of aircraft although that might be a stretch. There can’t be many pieces of development land that size with direct access to a runway in the UK. This is one of the richest parts of the country after all, and Farnborough has proved that there is insatiable demand for business traffic.

One interesting thing I picked up on the planning portal is that correspondence has been lodged by both BOH and even Bournemouth Council basically asking that their operations are taking into account when deciding whether to give approval. I suppose you cannot blame BOH for protecting their business but it’s a bit rich. Very interesting that Bournemouth Council are that supportive of their local airport that they will even comment on a neighbouring airports planning permission, whilst Southampton Council have objected to their local airport’s planning permission! Whilst the local council has to be seen to be listening to nimbys as they scream the loudest, SOU is teetering on the edge of losing 90%+ of its business and all the jobs it supports without the extension. What a strange world we live in.