PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centerline Thrust For a Twin Jet
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2020, 16:05
bafanguy

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by aterpster
I am rated in both the DC9-10 (1967) and 727 (1969). Neither were center-line thrust ratings. The DC-9-10 had OEI procedures. The 727 had one and two engine inoperative procedures.
aterpster,

Hard to say what happened when. I only know my direct personal circumstances in 1970.

If you got your initial FAA ATP at the time you held a CPL with a regular M/E rating, you wouldn't have been affected...I guess. I only had a CPL with S/E Land at the time of my initial FAA ATP and DC9 type rating so I guess the first M/E rating I got as ink spots on my ticket was C/L thrust because they considered the DC9 to be C/L thrust. They must've overlooked that foot full o'rudder needed on a V1 cut in their definition of C/L thrust airplanes. We also had to demonstrate them in the airplane as you must have in those days...and I found the airplane much easier than the sim.

And the C/L thrust limit was removed with the addition of my B737 rating in 1971 and replaced with a "real" M/E rating. That's all I know...I was just a line pilot.