PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2020, 16:03
JimEli

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dbcooper8
Do any 135 VFR operators, with aircraft that have FD's, include the use of some FD modes, such as HDG, in their written procedure, training and competency check for IIMC?

I find it perplexing that there is no apparent ​​​​​​use of the FD during any part of this flight. The FD, when used correctly, can help to prevent SD and LOC.
My experience sim instructing has shown that upon UIMC entry, there is a short pause of disbelief/confusion. Followed by a tendency to fixate (usually on the attitude indicator), cross scan instruments far too slowly and initiate a climb way too soon. All of this typically results in a decay of airspeed, and if the collective was increased to initiate a climb too soon, heading trim was lost shortly followed by LOC. All occurring in just a matter of seconds.

If the operator lacked an establish procedure, I would suggest, that verbally stating the mantra “attitude, torque, trim” during the initial UIMC event helped me prevent the sudden onset of LOC. “Attitude, torque, trim,” was used to cue the actions of leveling the wings, applying cruise torque, and centering the ball. Repeating until calm enough before making the next move. In many cases, not moving the controls is initially beneficial. Airspeed upon entry is a key factor, because if high, it tends to improve the stability of the aircraft and provide a greater margin if the pilot started slowing. It was a rare occurrence to see a pilot survive UIMC if he attempted to slow to climb speed. In my experience, worse advice was never given.

IF the aircraft had an autopilot/flight director, immediate engagement would be a life saver. However, dependent upon type of AP/FD, it may need some setup prior to the UIMC entry, or it could simply be a hinderance. Use of a FD alone doesn’t always work due to the aforementioned pause, fixation and slow scan issues. Regardless, the pilot needs to have memorized and recently practiced procedures to survive. Most don’t. In my mind, an AP would be the single biggest rotorcraft enhancement to prevent single pilot LOC/UIMC accidents.

Furthermore IMHO, the fact that one is a highly experienced VFR pilot and CFII adds very little to the successful execution of a UIMC transition.