PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centerline Thrust For a Twin Jet
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2020, 15:01
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was the one who brought up the DC-9 as a example of tail-mounted engines as I figured that there may be many who were unfamiliar with the look of the Eclipse. I doubt there was ever any centerline thrust for the DC-9. Someone is either making it up or had an error on his license.

As for the 727, a lot of rudder is needed to maintain present track after an engine failure soon after V1(at least in the sim). It was a bit surprising to me coming from the multi-engine world of engines on wings as I expected it to be much less rudder input required.

I flew the Cessna 337 centerline thrust aircraft and after experiencing a power loss in cruise, it was not surprisingly, a non-event in terms of handling characteristics with it being the equivalent of reducing power by half in a Cessna 172. But, I do wonder, if the centerline thrust Eclipse, even though it has no VMC, still requires quite a bit of rudder to maintain the desired track. If so, it is a much different handling centerline thrust aircraft than a Cessna 337.

Last edited by tcasblue; 18th Feb 2020 at 21:01.