PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2020, 23:31
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by gulliBell
Trust me. It's what happens. Exactly as I said. 40 degrees left bank. 20 degrees pitch nose down. Splatter. Having more than three goes to get it right becomes a waste of simulator time, especially when in their real world flying they never encounter those conditions. The time is better spent on other things, like working out which engine is on fire and not shutting down the wrong engine. Trust me on that one too. It happens.
gB, that is an interesting observation, really interesting.

To clarify your setup, you are presenting a loss of visual reference while at low altitude and during acceleration phase, is that correct? it seems to be logical that is your condition that is being looked at.

If so, then the roll being to the left is understandable as a matter of control derivatives. The pitch down is itself not consistent with a control derivative, it is however consistent with a pilot input akin to the consequences of exiting a thick overcast. Your comment about observing this outcome from either seat removes visual illusion of flow over a windscreen which does occur in the real world, but not too many sims will replicate water droplet streaming over the screen.

That would be an interesting little project for the guys at Moffet to look at I would think, if it is prevalent.

For non chopper people, the dynamic effects on the rotor disk in going from a hover through transition and on to a cruise speed results in very non-linear lateral trim requirements, and a nearly linear pitch input requirement. Essentially the cyclic control input traces an S curve (that would be a russian or Euro chopper, For USA it is a mirror "S"...) to maintain level flight with increasing IAS. For reasons why that is so, read Wayne Johnson's Helicopter Theory (read Ch15), or Ray Prouty's Helicopter Aerodynamics ( 2 volumes...) or Helicopter Performance, Stability and Control, or J. Gordon Leishman's Principles of Helicopter Aerodynamics. Seddon's Basic Helo Aero us a good read too.