PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Leaving FL" Call
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2020, 04:50
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackPanther
Well, I just believe people (on both sides) should have more humility about the things they don't understand. I apologise if I sounded arrogant or I offended someone.

I am not taking a side on either position of this debate. The ATC was correct but unprofessional. The pilot was wrong but probably makes a fair point. I see both perspectives. Of course, the whole point of this forum is that we can all discuss openly and honestly.

Hoosten, you are correct what you said about the technologies available. However, they don't exist in the Australian context (either from a technical, or regulatory perspective). Consider the investment that is being put into OneSky, I wouldn't expect things to change anytime soon either.

I am not sure what you mean by "it's alarmed" but the notion in this thread that ATC's get a notification from their scope when an aircraft leaves a level is is not true in Australia (unless of course the aircraft does it in contravention of their clearance, in which case your transponder will dob you in). They have to actively scan your track to see it. And if they are working intensely on another task this can be missed quite candidly.

Once again - this is not a defense of anyone. This is me putting out some facts.
Point taken BP- but I WOULD point out this particular sector has a reputation for exactly this, so, no, it wasn't a one-off.