PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Leaving FL" Call
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2020, 02:54
BlackPanther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosten
The bolded part, is this not part of your job description? I doubt you would ever rate on a position if something as simple as this is not demonstrated?

Of course it is. But sometimes human factors gets in the way and when there are 20 outstanding tasks to complete, scanning an aircraft that is 'on the rails' is not something you prioritise as number 1. You might prioritise the emergency aircraft inbound from the next sector, or a pending conflict that requires a level change from another aircraft, or you might be looking ahead at the sequence to start to form a plan.

Naturally, an ATC scan will return to ALL aircraft in good time. But mental prioritisation is important and checking if an aircraft has left a level after you have already assessed descent and issued a clearance is not that high up the list.

Originally Posted by Hoosten
Quite frankly Australian ATC needs to go back to the drawing board. You are in service delivery. The treatment of some of your customers is appalling. The dismissive attitude of 'without me your operation would cease' is not good enough.

Yes, the system needs to go back to the drawing board in regards to the framework in which Australian ATC is done. TAAATS is poor and the regulations are less about efficiency and more about decreasing risk for Airservices. However I think that the kind of behaviour you describe is only evident in a small number of ATC's here.