PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada 767 Problems at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2020, 15:39
megan

Received 413 Likes on 214 Posts
What Boeing has to say.
An overweight landing with an engine inoperative or a system failure may be less desirable than landing below maximum landing weight. Yet, delaying the landing with a malfunctioning system or engine failure in order to reduce weight or jettison fuel may expose the airplane to additional system deterioration that can make the situation worse. The pilot in command is in the best position to assess all relevant factors and determine the best course of action.
An inability to calculate landing performance for overweight landing with the reduced braking capacity I'd humbly suggest as a SLF the crew did the right thing ie agree with tcasblue.

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/ae...icle_03_1.html

If SE was not a problem as you stated, why didn't the crew fly for 4 hours towards destination and then land - if this is indeed the safest option
I suppose you're suggesting they retract the gear then, people have run out of gas trying that, besides the fact the flying rubber may have caused untold damage to systems in the wheel well. Sticking near the airport was smart IMHO.
The possibility of tire damage, which was only confirmed hours later by sending up a fighter aircraft
I'd say the crew were well aware of the initiation of their problems, that's why they left the gear down. An inspection by the fighter was prudent to assess the level of apparent damage, one can never have too much information in such cases.

Last edited by megan; 16th Feb 2020 at 15:54.