PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum headwind/crosswind component
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2002, 02:00
john_tullamarine

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
This relates to my other point about revisiting the crosswind. . .. .With some recent FAR23 models, a low crosswind value is a problem .. while the Mooney was not the aircraft to which I referred, the same sort of situation existed with the particular machine.. .. .However, for any aircraft which is deemed too limiting (in any regard .. crosswind or whatever) my over-riding concern is that one is better off reviewing the limitation as part of a formal test program rather than just operating in an ad hoc manner. . .. .Either the limit can be extended, or it can not .. the design standards are there to capture the expensive lessons of history and we would be a little silly to circumvent those lessons.. .. .Unfortunately, there are various problems which can arise in aircraft handling which are not generally known outside the flight test and certification community .. one of the reasons we have formal certification programs run by experienced and competent people ... to try and find the more hazardous problems before they have a chance to bite the trusting line pilot.. . . . <small>[ 12 March 2002, 22:23: Message edited by: john_tullamarine ]</small>