PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maximum headwind/crosswind component
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2002, 13:39
john_tullamarine

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
If I may offer a few observations. .. .(a) generally the reported wind limits will be those which the manufacturer conveniently found, provided that they are not less than whatever minimum values are set by any particular design standard. It is quite usual for the maximum values flown to be found "not limiting" .. ie in the opinion of the test pilot(s), the aircraft could be flown in conditions more critical than those found. I think it nice to treat this as a limit in the absence of further data determined by someone else much more adept than I at evading criticism at the accident enquiry .... .. .(b) sometimes the aircraft is limited by wind. For instance, some years ago, a US light aircraft came to Australia with an "adequate" (per design standard) demonstrated crosswind value but which, in view of the Australian NAA's policy to make the maximum demonstrated the maximum allowable, was a bit useless for local operations. I was involved in the test program to up this a bit and, to our surprise we found that the particular aircraft model was quite severely limited and we only managed to push the value up to, as I recall, something in the vicinity of 18 knots before we got to the area of frightening ourselves.. .. .(c) sometimes an excessive tailwind can present problems. Although I was not involved with the program, a TP colleague related a tale of one aircraft which had a tendency to pitch up at the start of the takeoff roll in strong tailwind conditions. .. .(d) operations in very strong winds pose a concern with the near ground boundary layer and shearing wind variations associated with nearby terrain. .. .(e) many runways have significant windshear or similar problems associated with terrain effects in particular wind conditions. .. .(f) as one contributor has noted, taxy capability may become limiting. .. .Mind you, the apocryphal tales of some of the old school DC3 operations into the Australian aerodrome at King Island in horrific winds still make very entertaining hangar yarns.