PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish HEMS EC135 almost losing it on landing
Old 14th Feb 2020, 10:32
hihover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMDEC

"A fully operative helicopter rotating left with full right pedal is a nonsense. Exceeding 360° rotation means that no pedal reaction was done or that opposite pedal reaction was abandonned after an initial attempt that seemed to have no effect."

I can assure you my friend that you are quite wrong. I was sitting in the left rear seat of an RAF Gazelle and the right seat pilot was unable to stop the yaw, I looked specifically at this feet and he definitely had full right pedal applied. He made no attempt to unstall the tail, we didn't know what was going on other than he could not stop the yaw. After several times 360 deg, he took the hard landing option. A strip-down of the tail rotor control showed no fault existed. Aerospatiale test pilots were unable to re-create the same condition, consequently, Aerospatiale's assessment was that it was not a
phenomenon. I disagree. Not that it matters.

I have over 5000 hours in the Gazelle, I loved it, and I never experienced any control issues, but he certainly did that day.