PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Poseidon - Not too long to wait?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2020, 12:55
WildRover

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
A UK-bound TriStar was once U/S at Dulles, requiring a nosewheel change. This was in the days when airlines still operated the jet and there were plenty of spares available on site.

So the crew chief and captain suggested to Starfleet Upavon that they should obtain the exact same tyre locally and fly back asap.

Oooh No! Far too sensible. So a TriStar tyre was driven to Lyneham and put on board a special C-130 flight, which then lumbered its way across the pond with this AOG spare... I think that someone had at least checked what jacking requirements were needed though.

After several days, the passengers were roused from their hotels and off they went back to the UK.

Cost? Quite a few nights in various hotels, not to mention the Herk flights. Surely there must be a better way these days?
Bloody rumour control......not quite correct. Said TriStar was returning to Brize following a trail. The nose wheel was found worn to limits by the ground crew and as it was a specific tyre for the K-series of TriStar, an interim Civilian spec tyre was not allowed even though we would not have operated at the design weights for the OE tyre 245 tonnes as opposed to 230 tonnes. Result two days in Denver skiing waiting for a replacement be flown out (no passengers BTW).