PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Subsonic Atlantic Record
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2020, 06:53
A340Yumyum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Utter rubbish. Just like the article.

It flew at it's standard 0.85 or so (or whatever BA do these days if they're still using zero CI for everything). Nothing supersonic about it. It was all about a strong, and long lasting bit of wind. Which also describes A340Yumyum's posts.

Oh, and just which variant of the 74 is it that has an "airspeedometer" ?
All aircraft have to have airspeedometers, it is a legal requirement for, say, when you cross the Atlantic. They are required so you can make ETAs over waypoints and stuff. They also tell you how fast you are going for take-off and bits like that.

And (Atlas Shrugged) the 744 also has a Machometer (for using above high ground); it displays on the bottom LH corner of the artificial horizon display.

I am between job’s at the moment (I teach English so am good at reading the manual’s) and have plenty of time to read the operating note’s and reflect. I remember pre-911, I was invited to the cockpit of a 747-400. The pilot definitely told me that it had 2 gauge’s and the machometer automatically turned on as you got faster. It was also interesting because the 747-400 was a modification to the 747 (Classical, they called it) so it could be flown single pilot as the flap’s and gear’s were all automatic.

I believe the removal of pilot’s from some trip’s (as mentioned in another thread) as a cost saving measure proves this.

Last edited by A340Yumyum; 12th Feb 2020 at 07:43.