PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bigger balls than mine in this 139
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2020, 12:48
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Accepted. Clearly a vertical profile would be a daft choice if there was any risk of losing visual references before achieving stabilized flight.
A couple of points to be considered when reading that statement.

If you have engaged "upper modes" of the Autopilot system....is that "stabilized flight" no matter the ground speed of the aircraft?

I specify ground speed because Wind Speed would be sensed as IAS.

Also to remind some of you young folks.....there was a time that "zero/zero" takeoffs were done in helicopters that had not stabilization systems or autopilots at all.

They were done as a matter of course, day and night, for years.

They were all "towering" type takeoffs that were far more vertical than they were transitions into forward flight then a climb away from the surface.

So all of this arguing back and forth about profiles, airspeeds, and the like are indicative of letting Rules getting in the way of aviating.

We have seen adherence to Take Off profiles at night in a cow pasture kill people.

We might assume leaving a beach on an Island at night might also have come to grief for the same reason.

What is patently plain to this old Git is far too many of you "think" you know your numbers and profiles....but don't.

I will give you this....the CAA and other Authorities have not done you any benefit by conjuring up all of these complicated Profiles and Limitations.

Just as we see Sim Training focus upon the wrong things....again usually caused by those same thoughtless rules and regulations.....we see complexity overtake commonsense rule making.

Are ya'll being taught right or just find yourself being the bulge in the Python's stomach?