PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350 engine shutdown incidents linked to cockpit drink spills
Old 11th Feb 2020, 09:17
Twitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Farringdon
Thanks Electronics Pro. You reinforced my thoughts about this but I am still perplexed. I don't believe any manufacturer in the aerospace industry (even Boeing) is unaware of the possibility of moisture reaching critical and even non critical electrical and electronic systems while in flight. Condensation leaking from above during descent, liquid spills down the centre pedestal, and even the unexpected leak of 700 gals of potable water that rained down on passengers on a Qantas A380 LAX to MEL flight. The in-flight entertainment system was switched off just in case! (ATSB report attached for interest). So, leaks happen and even the automotive industry have proven water resistant connections.Notice how headlights often still work even when cars are mostly submerged in floods.

I am still gobsmacked that in a state of the art aerospace endeavor such as the A350, engine state can be permanently altered in-flight by something so basic. I am still hanging out for an updated report that might state the crew carried out a precautionary shutdown, although even that sounds a bit silly for a drinks spill!!.
Suggest a big fat locking General Post Office relay in parallel to the soft switch - or better, a British Railways signal-box cable, operated hydro-mechanical control outboard.

It seems the cleverer we get, the further away from the basics we get.