PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic
Thread: West Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2020, 12:17
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trossie
Define 'experience'?
...seems a good way of building very good experience.

Unless, of course, you are confusing 'hours' with 'experience'?

One could easily argue that a 500 hr regional turbo-prop pilot has a lot more experience than a 500 hr 'bucket and spade flights' A320 pilot.
Not necessarily. This wasn’t the debate I was getting into. I’m sure it’s great experience. Varied airports, quieter and more chilled ATC, plenty of chances to get the autopilot off and have a go. Not to mention a 737 rating, WOWO roster, and the ability to commute to EMA once a week.

But, it can be a slow way to get experience. Short sectors followed by long waits, some 2 sector days and done (I’m not complaining about that!). Granted, there are longer tours, and some are better than others. Then it’s a whole week off. As a new pilot, it could take you the best part of 5 years to unfreeze your ATPL. Quite slow burning for a new pilot who would fly 7 days a week if they could (I know I would have).

Possibly. The regional prop pilot will have probably done more sectors, turnarounds, take-offs, landings, and seen more dodgy weather up in the Scottish Islands than an Airbus pilot. So quality stick time, yes. Got the t-shirt for that one. Personally, I’d rather point my Airbus in the right direction for 3 hours, than do a 6 sector Sumburgh, but that’s for another day.