PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fukushima Prefecture AW139 crash land, no immediatefatalities
Old 10th Feb 2020, 05:28
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Search&Rescue
I agree! I just (3 days ago) had an opportunity to simulate a coupled cruise flight in A139 Sim (CAE) with a TR shaft failure. If the pilot DOESN’T REACT at all, the helicopter easily turns 90 degrees... 180 degrees... even 270 degrees... pitching and rolling quite violently. At least CAE SIM is modelled so... based on the data from Leonardo... I guess...🤔

Cheers! 😉
I am sure that you are right that the SIM does this.
If the aircraft does this, then how is it allowed to fly?
Who would fly in such an aircraft? Darwinian process at work maybe?

ShyTorque
Yes it is hard to believe, but if you say this aircraft is that bad/dangerous i have to believe you. You say: "...you're an involuntary test pilot and might have little say in what the aircraft does, at least for a few seconds. With a rapidly rotating fuselage, pitch may become roll and roll may become pitch." Either it is that bad or you don't understand this (making you an ideal person to write the book??).

There are accident reports, an H369 in Australia is one, non-event. and a gazelle in UK where the drive shaft failures were bearly noticeable (in the Gazelle for HALF AN HOUR !!)

TorqueTalk
I know you are right. Just sad to have people believe they are buying an extreme safety level with this complextity.

tottigol agree
Non PC Plod quite right, an easy mistake to make