PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 10th Feb 2020, 00:24
Nootnoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 medical with monocular exception

Howdy all, got a bit of a weird question here so I guess I’ll just lay it out. I’m 31 years old, ever since I was a teenager I’ve been wanting to become a commercial pilot how ever my eye sight is not great, essentially I have one eye that is better than 20/20 but my other eye is far worse, and unable to be corrected with glasses to 20/20. Initially when I was 18 I attempted to get a medical but my regular optometrist said quite clearly to me that I would never pass a medical. Silly me took them at their word and didn’t get a second opinion, made piece with my life and found a different career. Obviously 10 years later I’m in a far better position financially and still have that itch to go flying. I’ve since seen yet another casa approved optometrist in the hopes of anything changing and they said basically the same thing, this time I had done some research and found that it was possible to pass a class 1 with an exception, when I asked about that they tried to push me away from aviation with something along the lines of well if an airline had someone with no restriction vs someone with a restriction who would they take. I guess my question is if anyone knows of has experienced something similar. The two problems I have is getting a pass on the medical but even then I don’t want to invest a ton of money into cpl atp ect if airlines are going to see that and dismiss any application. Any guidance or stories of similar situations would be appreciated, I’ve always been flexible where I live so even employment out of Australia is a possibility for me. Thanks in advance.