PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fukushima Prefecture AW139 crash land, no immediatefatalities
Old 9th Feb 2020, 19:54
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless
OF COURSE you already know that you need to point the stick in the direction you want to go !!!
Some people here seem to think you point the stick forward in the cockpit, and put the nose down, that is not the same thing when yawing.

We are all open to learning though, but I feel fairly certain that you must already understand this.
Full credit to you if you only just learned this and have the humility to admit it.
Maybe you would explain it for me to some of the Sim instructors here??

SirK
"rattle the cages of the regulars"
Not really. Or at least I don't mean to, other than perhaps with humour and goodwill.
There's one guy in particular here using underhand and unethical means to try to intimidate/insult me etc.
so when he wrongly corrects me I like to point out that he is wrong.
Flight is a science as well as an art.
Some people don't like when their PoF shortfall is exposed.
In the RAF I guess he would just order peoiple to "shut up, that's an order!".
I prefer reasoned physics and logic than the sniping.

Do we really want an echo-chamber of NorthSea, exRAF, where the world view is that Vortex ring is VooDoo, everything must be duplicated, probabilities come second to gut feel, science is just a clever way to bamboozle people who already have all the answers, urban autorotation is a 10^-9 Catastrophe !!?!!?

ShyTorque
You are clearly a genuine, distinguished and experienced pilot.
That makes it really difficult for me to understand your heli-world view:
"anything might happen" really, do you mean as in: "life is like a box of chocolates"?
Do they make helicopters where just anything might happen?
You said something about yawing through 90degrees
I was only asking if that was really what you thought happens, and now its even worse than that.
(some pilots have not even noticed that their TR Drive system failed 30mins previously in the cruise, its a long way from your 90 degrees etc strange world view)
"correct immediate actions are taken." you mean like using the controls for instance?

"crews did not receive detailed simulator training for tail rotor malfunctions" and that means the whole brewery couldn't organise for these guys to maintain SandL with sideslip. ("slowed till no longer yaw stable", "cut the throttles at 150ft") that DOES NOT NEED DETAILED SIMULATOR TRAINING - surely, really?? really??

"one of the staff who were tasked to develop a full motion sim. syllabus" (as was Crab I think??)

"no simulator that could be used for the Wessex and no interest"
So nothing achieved there then? why not just show it in flight?
5mins bar chat might obey the 80/20 rule?? If you actually knew what to say.

Difficult for me to understand how an experienced pilot can say all that, is this a special RAF thing or a 1967 thing?
Can you really believe what you just said, genuinely?
(You once said you were an engineer by training (i think?), but then said bending has nothing to do with shear, strangely)

Crab
"The pilot attempted to regain speed - they were doing 60 kts when the driveshaft failed"
No - you are completely wrong, again:
from the report:
"
  • Shortly after the aircraft appeared to achieve stabilised flight, the nose began to rise and the aircraft decelerated. The aircraft was now close to its critical yaw angle, beyond which airflow separation over the rear fuselage/tail pylon occurs, thereby removing its yaw stabilising, ‘weather-cock’ effect. This angle appears to have been reached after 13 seconds of stable flight, when the yaw began to increase significantly.
"

You live in a world where when a pilot simulates an emergency with cadet passengers on board(!), causing a TRDS failure, then screws up the response, everyone gets a medal and its a 'training problem'. You live in a fantasy world. Must be nice.

"the only way to reduce the rotation was to chop the throttles" also not true. Fatal consequences, incompetence (ie not competent to resolve a simple (self induced) tail rotor drive shaft failure, whilst in a simple flight regime, S&L. Just useless).

What was the budget of this helicopter unit?
$50m? $100m? and it takes how many people at a highly trained level to fail to carry a heart to transplant op.
Cudda got the nurse's brother's friend to carry it over for a share in the petrol. When is this going to get real?
Another helicopter not saved by having 2 engines.... post institutionalised folk damage civil aviation worldwide.