PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA crew test positive for alcohol (Sentences)
Old 16th Nov 2003, 01:06
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the heart of this issue is the question of how much of any kind of "normal" lifestyle is left, especially to UK and European shorthaul drivers.

With the kind of 6 on/2 off roster that is increasingly becoming the norm, it is very hard to actually plan to safely have any drink at all. As someone else has said, all the companies are doing is throwing the rulebook at us, without making any attempt to manage the lifestyle problems which this creates.

Moderate consumption of alcohol is part of our culture, it can be a sociable, pleasurable and relaxing experience. I would argue that making it increasingly difficult for crews to enjoy this activity will lead to increased levels of stress and discontent, and feelings of antagonism towards airline management and the legislators and enforcers, which in turn can only have a negative effect on flight safety.

The irony of all this is the drink culture in the cabin - the company directors enjoying their "champagne breakfast" before a day's hard decision making(!?). The amount of alcohol I've seen consumed by men in suits at all sorts of inappropriate times when I've been paxing has always made my jaw drop somewhat......

Last edited by Maximum; 16th Nov 2003 at 01:29.