PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lysander
Thread: Lysander
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2020, 11:01
old,not bold

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the video! I've often wondered how difficult/easy the Lysander was; my Dad, while at No 2 SFTS in May 1940, logged his one and only flight in a Lysander, as P1 in P.1745, from Brize Norton to Lympne, with P/O Burt as passenger. He may have studied the POM quite carefully before starting up, but more likely jumped in and worked it out as he went along. I wonder when/how he discovered the trick with the elevator trim..........I guess someone mentioned it in the crew room.

After all, since joining in March 1937 he had by then logged time as P1 in 16 other types. (DH82, Hart, Audax, Heyford, Wellington, Magister, Wallace, Fury (1 sortie only), Blenheim, Hornet Moth, Oxford, Harvard, Gauntlet, Anson, Botha, Mentor.)

(He returned on the same day as P1 in a Blenheim, with no P2 or crew. And on that day also he flew a Magister from Brize Norton to South Cirney and back. Am I slightly envious? Yes! Although not so much of his later 5 Lancaster III trips to Germany in 7 days, of which the 5th finished in Stalagluft III).