PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350 engine shutdown incidents linked to cockpit drink spills
Old 9th Feb 2020, 07:39
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once had an amusing experience on a VC10 involving condensation.
I was travelling from Tokyo, via Hong Kong to Colombo and Seychelles, sometime around 1978/9. At Hong Kong, we were all ready to go and the aircraft was quite full, with only one vacant seat. A rather large American guy boarded as the last passenger and as he walked down the aisle toward that one remaining seat, he was bitching and moaning in a very loud voice about there being no hotel rooms in Hong Kong so he had to get out of there. He really was an annoying so and so, doing a good impression of the stereotypical "ugly American". (No offence intended toward Americans here, but anybody who saw and heard this guy would know exactly what I mean).
Anyway, off we trundled, resuming our journey. As we lifted off, there was an anguished cry from the American of "Has anybody got an umbrella?" There was a huge stream of water pouring from the area of the overhead bins straight down the back of this bloke's neck! It was quite a sight and the only place in the cabin where there was a waterfall. And, as the aircraft was climbing quite steeply, the wet passenger was unable to move from under the stream and had to put up with what seemed a couple of gallons down the back of his neck. There were amused smiles all around from the crew and one or two passengers mentioned there was proof there is a God. To his credit, once it was all over, the American bloke had the good grace to say something to the effect of "Well, that'll teach me. I shouldn't have started off with my bitching and moaning".