PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abingdons Alive still
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2003, 23:52
Neil Porter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABN99 - Remember the big Exercise held in August 93 for a couple of weeks - Exercise Roaring Lion..
Loads of C130 Hercules activity, remember coming into work at the base to see 9 C130's lined up on the E/W runway (used for parking), then joined by a shed load more to have around 20 or so Herks on site at one point - and what a sight!!
What was it, 5am stream take offs!!! - mind you i pity you being on the approach path!

I think the locals didn't know what hit them at first, afterall eight months before the RAF had pulled out & was now an Army base!
OK, 60 sqn who then had Wessex from Benson used the field alot but to have all this descend was a very pleasing sight. The USAF sent in a C130, and the RAF loading a couple of Scout Helicopters to take to Keevil i presume?
I did hear talk of C141 Starlifters using Abingdon for the second part of the exercise but i think the runway aint long enough for those beasts.

TAC put in temp runway lighting and the Air Traffic tower was used once again, like the good old days!!

Pumas & Chinooks were involved also - i have attached a piccy from the Abingdon Fayre website of troops waiting to go etc..... anyone out there with any photos of the Exercise, PM or e-mail me please with your details as would like to purchase some!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/abingdo...f/SAVE0042.JPG

Thanks to Geoff who e-mailed me ref: US Navy photos from the ill fated 88 show, cracking shots of the F14 Tomcats, F18 Hornets, EA-6B Prowler & A6 Intruders.......oh and the S3 Viking!