PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Emergency DXB
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2020, 21:33
Monarch Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was a very thorough report. I was pleased to see them suggesting that boeing go back to the drawing board and fix their crappy autothrust system. I was flabbergasted to see that pushing thrust levers forward is not part of the go-around procedure..........and FMA annunciations not made. Right there are 2 things that could have avoided this accident.
Kenny, had the aforementioned “Commander” pushed the thrust levers foward, rather than merely pressed the Toga switches, this discussion would be moot. There is a larger point to this however, and it relates to the EK policy regarding AT usage and automation, IMHO this was an accident waiting to happen. Whilst on my 777 transition course at EK many years ago I made it known to anyone who would listen that over reliance on AT would end badly, I was ostensibly told to shut up as I knew nothing about how wonderful the EK training machine was.
When aviators are taught to rely on automation for flightpath and thrust control during critical phases and punished if they don’t comply it is inevitable that some fall into the trap of guiding rather than flying the aeroplane.
The simple fact in my view is that EK and specifically the company TREs/TRIs share a significant amount of responsibility for this accident due to their inaction, their complacency and their duplicity for not highlighting and correcting the very obvious flaws in the Initial/Transition/Recurrent training programme.
Those of us with significant 757/767/747 experience have always been aware of the Boeing AT logic, we were taught it correctly, it was also demonstrated correctly by trainers with years of experience...unlike many of the EK trainers who themselves merely regurgitate the limited and flawed knowledge EK has scared into them over their short careers.