PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2020, 14:12
SASless

Received 519 Likes on 217 Posts
I see it as being 46.7 when the Back Seater clearly calls it and directs a turn.

There seems to be some mis-identification by the Pilots.

With the comment about two targets...with one being to the right...and the back seater calling for a right turn....I can imagine (assume...guess) that complicated the thinking by the Pilots.

We have to remember there were three inputs to the situation....what the Pilots were seeing and what the Back Seater was seeing....with the Pilots having to fly the aircraft (even if just pushing buttons for the Autopilot).

The Captain had to process all of this....and make the decisions as to what needed to be done.

It was a very dark night....with a low ceiling....which did not help.

Before being too critical of the Crew....put yourself into their shoes and think about what they were dealing with that night.

There are legitimate questions that can and should be asked.....but we have to recall that it is a far different situation when you are doing it....rather than sitting at your computer and discussing it after the fact.

We are all human....and last time I checked there are no Super Humans amongst us.