PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Rating: G1000 or round dials?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2020, 01:03
Dashtrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To throw in my two cents. As an Airbus training captain, I see too many folks who have trained on glass cockpits or the MPL people who have mostly learned to fly in the 320 sim, who's idea of an instrument scan is focusing really hard on the middle of the FD. The principle you learn on steam guages will work on glass cockpits and I think its best to train your brain into scanning now rather than later. Also, the relationship between instruments must me learned. referencing v/s down an ILS, pinning the lubber line to the LOC needle on a HSI to get a smooth intercept. I've actually had F/Os ask me where the V/s is on the PFD and when explaining how to reference GS/VS down an ILS they look at me like its a new holy commandment. There is more to IFR than keeping the cross on the dot.
Selling G1000 because "airliners have glass cockpits" is nonsense. No airliner uses G1000 and every glass is different. They're just selling you the expensive kit they've put in the aircraft. Most cars on the planet are left hand drive........why do you learn on a RHD?