PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Rating: G1000 or round dials?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2020, 21:34
KRviator

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
Hi All

I’m looking for some pros/cons between doing an MECIR on G1000 vs round dials (analog/steam gauges).

For those of you looking at doing an MECIR, do you consider either when making a decision? Which school to choose?

Has anyone done a MECIR in something fitted with G1000 then gone to a charter job with round dials? If you had your time again do you wish you trained on round dials?

Any thoughts from instructors on this?
There was a bit of commentary about just this kind of thing here on Prune a couple years ago that has some relevance - the gist of it being "Everyone should train on steam gauges even if you'll never fly it, because you're CIR allows it and you won't know what you're doing if you don't train on steam gauges".

FWIW, if you're planning on using your CIR to get a job, then yes, I would agree that you should fly on round gauges - because that's what you'll likely end up flying in the early stage of your career. However, if I were going to do it, I would fly the G1000 (or my own if I could find an instructor willing to do so), because my RV is glass-equipped with a Dynon panel. Yes, I'm allowed to fly a clapped-out 172 with steam gauges, but will I? Not a chance...