PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using aerodynamic braking
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2020, 16:42
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Use the rudder! You’ve obviously never tried it..needs the nosewheel steering at low speeds.
(Airflow is partially blanked by fuselage).

In my brief career with Britain’s Excuse for an Airline there were a few guys who did the aerodynamic braking but I left it too long and paid the price with a resounding bang.

As to the poor copilots I once after a long Bolloxing having been told what I should want when I got my command on the gripper, I asked if there was a course in sarcasm involved...his briefcase hurt.

Many years later with a know all Swede who had been on the death cruiser three times as long as moi offered me the stateside landing which I excepted with glee (he was probably too tired). On the way back to Zurich which is where I normally got the landing although often lost it due to low viz I was asked where he should start the descent.
Give up.
No I’m serious.
Luxeil.
20 miles before hand he started down leaving some power on.
When he was 1,000ft high I mentioned the throttles.
I know I started down early.
3,000 ft high.Peter you are getting high.
Do you want to fly the Effing aircraft yourself.
Sorry just doing my Job.
At the last possible point where I knew I could get into Zurich I pointed out height and distance and then the s**t hit the fan. Ended up doing an unnecessary 360 and dragging it in.
Finished with I hate it when effing copilots are right.

Ten years later bumped into him after visiting the london boat show..still wouldn’t talk to me.

In hind sight I would have watched him doing a go around at 6am and said “you should have listened to your copilot”.