PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2020, 16:07
VikingSteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone, I'd like to ask your advice on my situation if i may. I've read a lot of posts from different people, from different walks of life, at different points in their career and the advice has been food for thought. I would like to tailor it to me personally though if I can!

I am 40 years old and I completed my PPL over the space of 4 weeks last summer. A lot later than planned!
I was due to attend RAF Cranwell back in 1997 before life threw a few curve balls. I was shortlisted for a sixth form scholarship before this, having passed aptitude tests, medical etc and my pathway to fast jet was set. Alas it was not to be and I made a career in civvy street instead.
I missed the cutoff to fly in the raf but at 26 I applied for aircrew, looking at loadmaster. I passed all tests but was put on a two year waiting list for aircrew so joined as an engineer intending to transfer later (recruiters will tell you anything to get you to sign kids!) Transferring was not a realistic option and I left the forces without fulfilling my dream of flying.

Now that life is stable, and a PPi claim landed £7k in my lap, I've finally earned my wings on my own and feel like that 17yr old kid again. I would love to now turn to Cargo or Passenger flights but as I'm NOT 17 i'm unsure how feasible it will be.
The theory, the test, medicals etc shouldnt pose a problem. I'm not rich but have about £1k of spare cash a month if I behave myself so could get at least 10hrs a week in the air. This should get me to 200hrs in around 18months. I'm self employed with an online business which gives me a lot of flexibility to get to an airfield whenever its clear!

So, I'm a 42yr old with CPL, looking at the future. I've got about 18years flying ahead of me (is that right?) I could hopefully get a job as an FI and earn while racking up my hours, another 12-18months and i'd hopefully have close to the 1500 needed for ATPL (from work and private hours).
I'm now probably 44, and looking for a FO role with an airline........Realistically - with competition from the young twentysomethings or experienced thirtysomethings - will I have a chance of landing a role with an airline?
I know it's illegal to discriminate on age, but if you have two pilots with the same skills and one can provide an extra decade or two of service then will the older chap have much of a chance?

I don't care about the politics of the job, I just want to earn a good wage, be in the air, see a bit of the world, and get a break from the wife and kids for half the month
I know there is no guarantee of ever getting to the left chair of an airline (or even the right!) but will being in my early 40's make it harder than at any other time of my life?

Thanks in advance guys