PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Rating: G1000 or round dials?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2020, 08:00
anchorhold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a really interesting question, but I would say knobs and dial is the best way to develop the scan and dealing with and understanding partial instrument failure, after all if one day you are flying an Airbus and if the PFD and ND fail your will be back to flying the basic standby instruments (AI/ASI/ALT). To add, I suspect that many of those who will be selecting you would prefer someone will knobs and dials training. It is likely you may as part of you airline selection to be put on to a simulator with an analogue display, for example BA 111 or 737-200. Sadly, there is a move in the industry and the military to train from day one on 'glass' displays, and probably there are many airline pilots out there who would not understand the difference between a turn coordinator and a turn and slip, or the implications of implications of failure of air driven/electrically driven gyros.

So the answer you probably do not want to hear is, go down the knobs and dials route, feel privileged that you get the opportunity. It may be slight harder, perhaps route, slightly more costly, but in the long term it will make you a better pilot, the easiest route is not always the best. One you have mastered knobs and dial as previously stated, you will have a developed 'T' scan and the transition to PFD (primary flight dislay) will be straight forward, with the benefit of understanding the limitations of ribbon (tape) displays and hopefully a better mental model of your position, without the need for a map display. These are only my opinions, others might disagree.