PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Officer exchanges
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2020, 23:25
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by BVRAAM
Hi folks,

I have become aware of various Officer exchange programmes for RAF FJ Aircrew - B-2, F-15E, F-22, F/A-18 (USN, Australia), F-16 (various countries), etc. etc.
However, I haven't found so much information on FAA exchange opportunities. Are the same opportunities available for RN aircrew, in particular the F-22 and Strike Eagle, or is it different?

Thanks.
Before it was retired, FAA Observers could go to North Island on exchange with likes of VS-3@ ‘Shamrocks’ and fly in the Lockheed S-3B Viking . Also back in the day, when had the F-4K and ShAR, couple of pilots went on exchange to fly even the F-14A Tomcat. There is one ShAR pilot who lost his life , crashed lifting off ski ramp. Few yeses earlier in late 70s he flew F-14 on exchange.

Observers from the Bagger units fly exchange with E-2C Hawkeye units ...

I am sure pilots fly exchange with SH-60 now Mh-60R squadrons, they also used to fly SH-2 Seasprite on exchange when it was in service.

also

JFH CO Ade Orchard flew variety of stuff at China Lake with VX-9 such as AV-8B Harrier II Plus, AH-1W Super Cobra and evening stick time in F/A-18C.

Also the most senior Royal Marines Sea Harrier pilot who was then a Ltc went on exchange to US Navy Super Horent Squadron and instructed at Oceana a few years back. Think it was part of the gearing up to get next generation FAA aircrew back to fixed fast jet flying in anticipation of the F-35B.

Fleet Air Arm Commando Helicopter Force (you count former 3 Brigade Air Squadron ) have and fly over the last five decades with the USMC

Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight
Rockwell OV-10A Bronco
Bell UH-1E/UH-1N/UH-1Y
Bell AH-1J/AH-1W/AH-1Z
Bell-Boeing MV-22B

Plus there was the Atlantic Bandit Helicopters 3 week air to air exchange with MAWTS-1 at McAS Yuma.

Believe FAA pilots also go exchange flying with French such as Lynx and of course with the fixed wing carrier ops, some went exchange to fly Super Entard before retirement and maybe Rafale, but I could be wrong.