PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Vest / Survival Gear Discussion...
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2003, 20:08
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Attention to detail...

Lowlevldevl, you are right (to a point)...

Yes, I would agree with you that this equipment is more than what is required for the intended application... today. Nevertheless, I'm planning on a worst-case scenario so that I will already be prepared for other missions... tomorrow.

I wouldn't say that I'm "paranoid" about ditching or flying at all. I would say that I have a healthy dose of respect for the aircraft and the environment in which I fly (and may fly in the future). Hopefully, I've demonstrated the proper attention to detail... not paranoia. With development, that will make me a better pilot, no?

Finally, there are ONLY two pockets on this vest (and a HEEDs holster). The equipment I've listed is very light weight and small in size. So, we aren't really talking about a lot of gear here... it just looks that way on the forum. Your point about over-thinking the situation is well-received, but anything worth doing is worth doing correctly. Which is why I'm taking the time to research options and discuss it with the professionals on this forum. I've gotten several e-mails from PPRuNer's about the configuration of the vest and other recommendations, so it seems to be a topic of interest.

For Those Who Are Interested,

I'm leaning more against pyrotechnics at all. To be effective, you have to carry a lot of flares. Pocket rockets are okay, but they are not submersible and they have limited range and burn time. The XLT Marine rockets seem to be the best choice for a vest, but they take up valuable space and you can't carry that many. I think with the rescue streamer, lights, and PLB that I will be in good shape. I'd rather use the rest of the available space for survival gear (water, fire, etc) and maybe a small GPS.

So, I'm temporarily going to "table" pyrotechniques until I get the more important gear in place. Concerning training, I've been looking at some HUET courses. They aren't that expensive for an entire day of training - less than $200 or so. However, there doesn't seem to be anything close to my location. Any recommendations for HUET training in the Mid-Atlantic region?