PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Form 700 Avro Anson Mk1 N5130
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2020, 09:32
WB627

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts
RAF Form 700 Avro Anson Mk1 N5130

Whilst flying Avro Anson’s from Mona, with 8 (O)AFU a Navigator Training School, my late father in law, had a mid air collision in the circuit at night in very bad weather and despite losing 10 feet of one of his wings, managed to land the aircraft safely. The aircraft he collided with also landed safely.

His aircraft was repaired by grafting on a section of replacement wing and when complete, he was tasked with test flying the aircraft the day before going on leave for his 21st birthday. The next person to fly the aircraft was his best friend and sadly the aircraft crashed killing everyone on board. It is believed that the left wing failed after an aileron separated and led to a loss of control. This weighed heavily on Dad for the rest of his life.

The report into the accident made no mention of the recently completed repair. It did however refer to a number of accidents to Anson’s where the wing had failed in flight resulting in the aircraft crashing. This was attributed to the aircraft being made of wood and being stored in the open on airfields because there was not enough hangar space to keep them inside and protected from the British weather.

I am trying to find out which wing was repaired following the mid air collision, the one that failed in flight or the other one. I think the Form 700 will tell me this if it is possible to get a copy.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to obtain copies of this form for aircraft in WW2 ands if so how.