PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2020, 07:55
l8starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FATPLat48, you sent me a PM asking if I would be prepared to have a chat with you, and to which I agreed. I PM’d you back with a personal contact detail, which I am not going to post publicly.

You have received some good advice. I remember what it was like when I was making a similar decision all those years ago; not knowing anyone in aviation; trying to source and receive sound information, or opinions from those “in the know”; worrying about the finances (it was a little different then, I went through the “self-improver route”, worked during the week (to support the family), Instructed part-time at the weekends, built the hours, and self-studied at home for the CPL (to get a BCPL), and then the ATPL; it took eight years from start to finish, and no guarantee of a job at the end of it. It felt very lonely at times, and my friends, who only used to think I was mad, became firmly convinced that I was ! Having spent over twenty years in commercial aviation, I am now inclined to agree with them . . . .

For all the advice you will receive, only you can make, and then live with, a decision. Sometimes, it helps just hearing yourself talking through things, to get stuff straight in your mind, and help you move forward, which is why I offered to have a chat; not so much to offer you advice, or tell you what to do, because nobody is going to do that. Talk with as many people as possible, it does help, even if it’s not what you (in your heart of hearts) want to hear . .

L8